Dr David Lim and Monique Broadbent outline the support and resources available to doctors when a patient dies by suicide.
- Grief is a process, not something to be fixed.
- If one of your patients died by suicide, you are not alone in experiencing emotional turmoil, perceived isolation and guilt.
- Linking up with appropriate support and resources is very important for GPs who are experiencing the emotional trauma of having had a patient die from suicide.
Host: Dr David Lim, GP
Guest: Monique Broadbent, support leader; Standby – Support After Suicide, Brisbane
Total time: 41 mins
- After Suicide: A resource for GPs (PDF)
- Research: GPs’ experiences of dealing with parents bereaved by suicide (PDF)
- Helping survivors in the aftermath of suicide loss (PDF)
- Standby National Client Outcomes Project Final Report (PDF)
- To learn more about StandBy and to access resources, visit the national website